Nine Quick Tips to Help the Parent Teacher Conference Go Smoothly
- Do everything in your power to arrive on time.
- Make every effort for both parents/ guardians to be present
- Find an appropriate caretaker for your child during this time. Unless the teacher has expressly asked that he/she be present, you child should be in another safe environment
- Show the teacher respect and be amiable
- Write down your questions and concerns so that you don’t forget what needs to be addressed
- Use examples from the work that has been sent home with your child to illustrate your points
- Listen to the teacher’s suggestions to develop an action plan for your child during the conference
- Expect to extend lessons beyond worksheets/homework. Find creative ways to reinforce the lessons that are tailored to your child’s learning style.
- Review the action plan with your child and help her implement it