1) Visit a science museum, planetarium, or aquarium. You'll be inside--away from the cold elements-- and engaged with the learning process outside of the normal classroom routine.
2) Visit an assisted living or nursing home and talk with the residents. Ask them what life was like when they were younger. What do they remember? What did they like about the past? What are they happy to let go of? This is one of the best ways to experience history.
3) Keep a holiday journal/blog/vlog. What is your family excited about this year? What would you like to remember?
4) Play board games. There are many good trivia, strategy/logic, and creative games on the market.
5) If your are a musical family, learn a new piece to share when the family gets together or compose your own song to share.